AFRICA SMILED – A poem by Bridget Dore, dedicated to Madiba (Nelson Mandela)

My friend Kelly posted an excerpt from this stunning poem on Facebook and just had to share it. Beautiful words – much appreciated I expect  by anyone from Africa who is currently living abroad… x

(PS. Anyone who likes the poem below, should also read THIS)

AFRICA SMILED
- A poem by Bridget Dore, dedicated to Madiba (Nelson Mandela)

Africa smiled
A little
When you left.
“We know you,”
Africa said,
“We have seen
And watched you,
We can learn
To live
Without you,

But
We know
We needn’t
Yet.”

And Africa smiled
A little
When you left.
“You cannot
Leave Africa,”
Africa said.
“It is always with you,
There inside your head.
Our rivers run
In currents
In the swirl

Of your thumbprints;
Our drumbeats
Counting out your pulse,
Our coastline,
The silhouette of your soul.”

So Africa smiled
A little
When you left.
“We are in you,”
Africa said.
“You have not
Left us,
Yet.”

© Bridget Dore

About these ads

3 thoughts on “AFRICA SMILED – A poem by Bridget Dore, dedicated to Madiba (Nelson Mandela)

  1. Wow that is truely a beautiful poem. I am from South Africa, living in the UK for about 8 years now and missing home dearly. The poet is right in what they say Africa is beautiful & an inspiring country. I am emmigrating back home and can’t wait to feel my spirits uplift the day I land back home…

  2. Hi. How do I get hold of Bridget Dore to have her poem in my book please ? SOS !! Eve- writer/psychologist

Leave a Reply

WordPress.com Logo

Twitter picture

Facebook photo